New Crunchy City goes online for Virtual Crunchyroll Expo
While many other online conventions this year offered a scheduled livestream of events, Crunchyroll is getting a bit more interactive. Fans will experience Virtual Crunchyroll Expo through New Crunchy City as an online platform with different areas for people to go into. It’s similar to a real life con experience with multiple areas for you to wander into at any point.
Panels, premieres, and screenings will be available in the Theater District. Fan activations and activities in the Super Arcade. An artist alley where fans can purchase directly from each artist’s store in the Anime Arts District. And an exhibitor hall in the Central Shopping District.
Guest announcements from Onyx Equinox, Noblesse, and The God of High School
Very special guests will also appear across four virtual stages including:
- Sofía Alexander (Executive Producer & Show Creator, Onyx Equinox)
- Yasutaka Yamamoto (Director, Noblesse)
- Tarusuke Shingaki (Voice Actor, Noblesse)
- Daisuke Hirakawa (Voice Actor, Noblesse)
An exclusive panel with the cast and crew of The God of High School, including:
- Sunghoo Park (Director)
- Setta (Creative Designer)
- Tatsumaru Tachibana (Voice Actor, Jin Mori)
- Manabu Akita (Character Designer)
The God of High School musicians KSUKE (opening theme) and CIX (ending theme) will also make a special appearance.
Additional special guests include panel discussions with Shusuke Katagiri (Producer, Dr. STONE), Myth & Roid (Musical Act), Rian Tachibana (Crunchyroll-Hime, Voice Actor), and Matt Schley (Writer & Host of The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter panel).
The finalists for Hime’s Cosplay Cup sponsored by Bokksu will compete for prizes on Saturday, September 5, and fans can look forward to what they bring to the competition.
The complete schedule for Virtual Crunchyroll Expo can be found here.
Super Arcade district in New Crunchy City brings games, galleries, and fan activities
Fans can look forward to the New Crunchy City Super Arcade that will be home to content like the Onyx Equinox scavenger hunt, Yuzu Cat Café, exclusive art galleries, and more!
The full list of activities coming to the Super Arcade include:
- Onyx Equinox Scavenger Hunt: Fans can play on the Virtual Crunchyroll Expo app starting September 3 to win a year of Crunchyroll Premium or tickets to CRX 2021.
- Gallery Tour featuring MAPPA: An inside look at some Studio MAPPA‘s biggest hits, alongside behind-the-scenes commentary from Sunghoo Park (Director, The God of High School).
- Anime Runs Deep: A Celebrity Fan Exhibit: Crunchyroll will share some anime-inspired interpretations of celebrities who are big anime fans like Idris Elba (Actor, Thor & The Wire), John Boyega (Actor, Star Wars sequel trilogy films), and LJ Collier (Athlete, Seattle Seahawks)
- Yuzu’s Cat Cafe: A 24/7 live stream of kittens from The Kitten Academy where fans can donate or adopt a cat of their own.
- Anime Rave: Each night of the show fans can listen to music from DJs on Twitch and dance the night away.
- Virtual Schwag: There will be cosplay backgrounds, posters, as well as virtual item giveaways from some of our industry panels.
- Quiet Rooms: A place for fans to unwind with laid-back music and see anime artwork from Tower of God, Somali and the Forest Spirit, and Laid-Back Camp.
- Hatsune Miku Symphony Orchestra Concert: The Miku Symphony is celebrating its 5th anniversary with this special performance by vocaloid Miku Hatsune and the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra.
About Virtual Crunchyroll Expo
Fans can experience Virtual Crunchyroll Expo all weekend starting at 10 AM PT on Friday, September 4 until Sunday, September 6 at 10:00 PM PT. The live content will be uploaded to the V-CRX On-Demand section periodically throughout the weekend to ensure fans don’t miss anything.
Registration for V-CRX is open here. The anime community can sign up for free to catch all the action, announcements, guest panels, and more.
Virtual Crunchyroll Expo is a digital take on Crunchyroll’s yearly convention, bringing together fans to celebrate the Japanese animation industry. The event will be streaming from September 4-6 only on crunchyrollexpo.com.