A brand new trailer has been released for not one but two upcoming Re:cycle of the Penguindrum films. The staff of the two movies was present for the two compilation films’ full trailer release last week. The trailer for director Kunihiko Ikuhara‘s films shows the second film’s newly created footage; announces and previews the second film’s theme song, titled “Boku no Sonzai Shōmei” (“Proof of My Existence”) by Etsuko Yakushimaru’s Yakushimaru Etsuko Metro Orchestra; and also introduces a new character and cast member.
The newest cast member to join the second compilation film is Sumire Uesaka, who plays the new character Purin-Chu-Penguin.
A new poster shows more staff members, the returning cast, the title, and most importantly the date of the first film’s release: April 29th, 2022.
Ikuhara is directing the projects, and Lily Hoshino is head of the original character designs. Brains Base is also credited for the original television version’s production, while Lapin Track is producing the film version.
The following are also joining the film staff, in the same roles they worked on in the original television anime series:
- Takayo Ikami as scriptwriter
- Terumi Nishii as character designer
- Yukari Hashimoto as musical composer
- Chieko Nakamura as art director (Nakamura is also working with Studio Cocolo)
- Wataru Osakabe as icon designer
- Yō Yamada as sound director
- Tomokazu Mitsui as sound effects artist
Ikuhara co-wrote the film’s screenplay and is co-directing the sound design, and Tomomi Kawatsuma also designed the characters for the film. Other noted staff members include the following:
- Assistant director: Nobuyuki Takeuchi
- Color key artist: Kunio Tsujita
- CG director: Yuushi Koshida
- VFX director: Tao Tajima
- Compositing director of photography: Takeo Ogiwara (Graphinica)
- Editing: Masayuki Kurosawa
- Music production: King Records
- Presented by Pinglobe Union
- Distributor: MOVIC
The returning main cast members are as follows:
- Subaru Kimura as Kanba Takakura
- Ryohei Kimura as Shōma Takakura
- Miho Arakawa as Himari Takakura
- Marie Miyake as Ringo Oginome
- Akira Ishida as Keiju Tabuki
- Mamiko Noto as Yuri Tokikago
- Yui Horie as Masako Natsume
- Yutaka Koizumi as Sanetoshi Watase
The film project will re-edit all 24 episodes of the television anime but will also add new sequences and characters. The psychological drama story begins when a girl named Himari Takakura passes away after going out on a trip with her brothers, Kanba and Shōma. A spirit in a penguin hat appears and miraculously saves her. However, in exchange for saving Himari’s life, the brothers must search for the Penguindrum for the spirit. A trio of strange penguins accompany the siblings on their quest.
Are you excited for the new Penguindrum films? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter!